Sauerkraut is so easy to make and is so amazing for you. Health benefits of sauerkraut include its ability to increase your digestive health, stimulate your immune system, boost your circulation, protect your heart health, provide you with energy, strengthen your bones, reduce your cholesterol levels, eliminate inflammation, protect against certain types of cancer, and even improve your vision and skin appearance and health. Spicy Garlic Sauerkraut!
- 1 Head of Organic Cabbage
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- 5 to 15 hot dry chili pods (me, i like more!!!)
- Cut the cabbage from the very top in half, lay each half flat and cut them in half. You now have 4 quarters.
- Chop each quarter from one end to another (long way) into about 1/8" slices, i like mine thin
- Pop the chopped cabbage in a very large bowl.
- Add half the salt and start massaging the salt into the cabbage, like you are massaging someones back, really get in there with a little bit of force.
- Taste, it should be salty, but not overly salty that it tastes bad, if you need to add more salt do so and continue to massage
- Massage for about 5 minutes, until the time that you can see some liquid forming at the bottom of the bowl.
- Chuck the salted cabbage into mason jars and tamp down the cabbage tightly using something that fits, I use the press that comes in my food processor, it fits perfectly. My tip for stuffing the jars is to use a pair of kitchen tongs and jam the cabbage in each jar. Easy!
- You want to leave about 2 " of head space as the fermentation will bloat the contents a bit.
- Put the jars somewhere cool and dark and forget about them for a week. See notes below.
- Some notes. Work clean. I use food service gloves when I do the massaging and bottling. Make sure the jars are very clean and the lids and rings are clean and in good condition. They are so cheap, you can replace them every few cannings.
- After a week, and a distinct smell wherever you decided to store the jars, you can open one up and test. It may be fizzy, that is ok, it is part of the fermentation and is 100% natural. I start using one bottle at a time after about a week. The more they are in the jar at room temp, the more they will cook and soften. Grab a jar and pop it in the fridge, when you finish it, pop another in the fridge. It's kind of cool to see ( and taste) the transformation over the course of 1 to 4 weeks.
- You will get about 2 to 3 pint jars out of 1 head of cabbage. Enjoy.
Here are the jars that I use for these recipes. I found the best pricing on Amazon, purchase them if you like!
Spicy Garlic Sauerkraut from Instagram: http://ift.tt/1z9lMmF
How about doing a 5 Minute Workout?
(Videos are only displayed by viewing the article on our site…On a smartphone? You might need to click the video twice)
Disclaimer: Please check with your doctor and have it cleared before beginning any new exercise or diet program. I am not a doctor or registered dietician, my blog is opinion based and I do not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure any cause, condition or disease. All information provided is for informational purposes only; it is not medical advice and has not been approved by the FTC or FDA. Please always communicate with your doctor to make any decisions or changes regarding your health, as your doctor is the only one who knows what is right for you.