The Time Change May Affect Your Fitness Motivation
Good new and Bad news. The good news first! Now that we are Springing forward, the sun will set later! This makes the day feel longer. I love it when the sun is setting outside while I’m teaching my last few Pilates classes. I am lucky enough to live on the west coast and teach fitness classes in Manhattan Beach where the sunsets are gorgeous! When the sun sets later, I have more energy later on in the day because my melatonin isn’t trying to kick in so early. The bad news is, now the sun will rise an hour later! This makes the mornings even harder when you have to wake up at 5:30am! At this point, I look forward to June when the days are 14 1/2 hours long (3 hrs longer than March), in L.A the sunrises at 5:40, and sets around 8pm. Those are the best days of the year in my opinion. But it’s March and if we don’t act now, bikini season will be here before we know it and you can’t make up for lack of exercise and poor nutrition.
Lets make today the day we Spring Forward into more of a Fitness Mindset. Here are five Fitness Motivation Tips to try on a daily basis to help you Spring Forward into a Fitness Mindset:
- 2 hours before bed, dim your lights and use candle light if possible. This will promote dim light melatonin onset (DLMO) to help you fall asleep at a decent hour.
- To get your day started, expose yourself to sunlight immediately. If you wake up before the sun rises, turn the lights on. You need light to kickstart serotonin and cortisol, which give you energy and prepare you for your day.
- Every time you go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water. This will help you stay hydrated and energized throughout your day.
- On your commute to work or in the shower, take 3 deep breaths and make sure you exhale all the oxygen out of your lungs every time. If you have 5 minutes to yourself before you leave the house, close your eyes and sit still while breathing as deeply as you can. Try to only focus on your breath and not on anything else.
- Think about 5 things you are grateful for and write them down if you can. Taking the time to actually write down 5 things you are grateful for into a journal will be more meaningful and help you focus on them a little bit longer.
Add these Fitness Motivation Tips to your daily routine every day this month and see if you notice a difference in the way you feel. Share your experience in the comments section below! Don’t forget to add the Fitness Motivation ideas I posted last week: Fitness Motivation Monday to your daily routine this month as well.
How about doing a 5 Minute Workout?
(Videos are only displayed by viewing the article on our site…On a smartphone? You might need to click the video twice)
If you like this video, sign up here for a Free 7 Day Lifestyle Transformation!
Disclaimer: Please check with your doctor and have it cleared before beginning any new exercise or diet program. I am not a doctor or registered dietician, my blog is opinion based and I do not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure any cause, condition or disease. All information provided is for informational purposes only; it is not medical advice and has not been approved by the FTC or FDA. Please always communicate with your doctor to make any decisions or changes regarding your health, as your doctor is the only one who knows what is right for you.