I’m Fit & Happy is a home workout program, offering convenience to those who want to get fit and strong but don’t have enough time to go to the gym. This article will teach you how to do a single leg dead lift. The Single Leg Deadlift is one of my favorite leg exercises you can do at home.
Form is my first priority, so I always think about how I set up the move first.
- Stand on a slightly bent single leg, make sure the foot is parallel (not turned out), and find your balance.
- Your opposite leg is lifted in parallel passe (with a bent knee in front of the hip and toe attached to the opposite knee; creating a triangle shape.)
- Square off hips and shoulders to the front and engage your core by pulling your lower belly in.
- I have my elbows pulled back in the picture to prepare for a tricep extension, however, you can do any arm exercise you prefer.
- Hinge at the hips as you lower your torso with a flat back, your supporting leg slightly bent, and your weight in your heel.
- You will only hinge as far as you can maintain your form and balance.
- As you hinge, the leg in passe reaches straight back behind your hip.
- Move very slow!
- I am extending my arms straight back during the deadlift to add tricep work, however you can do any arm exercise you prefer.
- As you return to standing, your back leg returns to parallel passe and your arms return to the starting position as well.
SETS, REPS, & Modifications
Number of repetitions: 12-15
Number of sets: 3 on each leg (alternate legs)
To make it more challenging:
- Bring your torso parallel to the floor on the hinge
- Hold 5-15lb weights in each hand
To make it less challenging:
- Smaller range of motion on the hinge
- Hold on to a stable object and don’t hold weights
I hope you enjoyed Leg Exercises You Can Do at Home | Part 1. Here is an awesome core workout video from my home workout program, I’m Fit & Happy. Our members receive 9 home workout videos each month plus monthly challenges to help create healthy habits. This is our April Abs Challenge, but my clients love to do it year round! Try it out…
How about doing a 5 Minute Workout?
(Videos are only displayed by viewing the article on our site…On a smartphone? You might need to click the video twice)
If you like this video, sign up here for a Free 7 Day Lifestyle Transformation!
Disclaimer: Please check with your doctor and have it cleared before beginning any new exercise or diet program. I am not a doctor or registered dietician, my blog is opinion based and I do not claim to diagnose, treat, or cure any cause, condition or disease. All information provided is for informational purposes only; it is not medical advice and has not been approved by the FTC or FDA. Please always communicate with your doctor to make any decisions or changes regarding your health, as your doctor is the only one who knows what is right for you.